.

Friday, August 21, 2020

Why Is Margaret Atwood Writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy?

Why Is Margaret Atwood Writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy?All of her writing has major themes that are repeated throughout her work, from The Handmaid's Tale to the Oxford Trilogy to her sci-fi short stories to the Pulitzer Prize winning novel, The Year of Magical Thinking. What is her secret? Where does she find inspiration for her themes?'The Windup Girl' is a story about a little girl with the power to steal books and sell them to be sold in her book store. Margaret Atwood wrote the story to teach readers about the power of free will and the use of it by individuals and organizations. In this case, the little girl is the person with the power to steal books, not some corporate entity that manufactures books.When someone steals something from you, you have to feel some type of way - you have to hate the act, but you also have to take some kind of positive way out of it. You might say 'I will never steal again', 'I am going to stop', or 'I will never, ever steal again'.Margaret Atwood makes a lot of sense to me when she says 'I would not ask others to love me enough to steal from me'If I lose my ability to steal and I no longer have any books, I would just stop'. Why would you want to do this to yourself, if you could lose your ability to steal for one year? How can you allow someone else to take away your ability to steal?I see it every time I read 'The Year of Magical Thinking'The Windup Girl'. I also see that each story is an extension of a theme that Margaret Atwood has been exploring throughout her work. The characters in 'The Year of Magical Thinking'The Windup Girl' find themselves needing to find ways to act against others who are trying to take away their ability to steal.This is a strange reading and I would agree with the characters in 'The Year of Magical Thinking' that they 'do not want to exist in that world'. What they are looking for is to lose their ability to steal. Margaret Atwood's novels are built around themes, some of which are common to science fiction like genetically-engineered humans or alien life forms that can interbreed. Sometimes they are even theme related to the U.S. political scene.Some of these themes are about futuristic surgeries and medical devices, and others are about unfortunate events in history. This is a clever way of using many different subjects into one novel.Margaret Atwood has been called 'The Godmother of Science Fiction'. She has done a lot of things to get science fiction writers interested in exploring and discussing themes and helping to expand the genre. I hope she continues to write and that her readers continue to enjoy her writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment